How to Spot Storm Damage to Your Chattanooga Home
Living in the Chattanooga area, you know that we’re no strangers to severe weather. From strong winds and hail to heavy rains and flooding, our homes are constantly at risk of damage from storms. If you’ve been through a recent storm, hail, or high windows, it’s important to inspect your home for any signs of damage, especially to your roof, siding, and windows.
Signs Of Roof Damage
Your roof is one of the most important parts of your home, and it’s also one of the most vulnerable to storm damage. Here are some signs that your roof may have been damaged in a storm:
- Missing or damaged shingles
- Loose or damaged flashing
- Creaks, leaks, or other signs of water damage
- Warped or buckled roofing materials
- Shingles that are curling or lifting
- Debris or tree limbs on the roof
If you notice any of these signs, it’s important to have your roof inspected by a professional roofing contractor such as Armor Xteriors as soon as possible.
Signs Of Siding Damage
Your siding is another important part of your home’s exterior, and it can also be damaged in a storm. Here are some signs that your siding may have been damaged:
- Dents, cracks, or other damage to the siding panels
- Loose or missing siding nails or screws
- Warped or buckled siding panels
- Siding that is peeling or cracking
- Debris or tree limbs on the siding
If you notice any of these signs, it’s important to have your siding repaired or replaced as soon as possible.
Signs Of Window Damage
Your windows are another important part of your home’s exterior, and they can also be damaged in a storm. Here are some signs that your windows may have been damaged:
- Broken glass
- Loose or missing window panes
- Warped or buckled window frames
- Windows that are not opening or closing properly
- Debris or tree limbs on the windows
If you notice any of these signs, it’s important to have your windows repaired or replaced as soon as possible in order for them to continue keeping the weather out and keep your energy cost low.
Why Does Storm Damage Occur?
There are a number of reasons why storm damage can occur to your home’s roof, siding, and windows. Some of the most common causes include:
- Strong winds: Strong winds can tear off shingles, siding, and windows.
- Hail: Hail can dent and crack shingles, siding, and windows.
- Heavy rains: Heavy rains can cause leaks in roofs and siding, and can also damage windows.
- Flooding: Flooding can cause extensive damage to roofs, siding, and windows.
What to Do If You See Storm Damage
If you see any signs of storm damage to your home, it’s important to take action as soon as possible. Here are some tips:
- Inspect your home thoroughly. Take the time to walk around your home and inspect it for any signs of damage. This will help you identify any problems that need to be addressed.
- Contact a professional. If you see any significant damage, it’s important to contact a professional contractor to repair the damage. Don’t try to fix the damage yourself, as this could make the problem worse.
- File an insurance claim. If the damage is covered by your homeowner’s insurance, you should file a claim as soon as possible. This will help you get the repairs done quickly and without paying out of pocket.
By following these tips, you can help protect your home from storm damage and keep your family safe.